The cold storage of food becomes a crucial point in professional kitchens and restaurants, which is why the refrigerated counter gains importance. If you are interested to start your own cold storage business, let’s find out below about the Minimum area required for cold storage.
While in the preservation of food by heat, the microorganisms are killed and enzymes inactivated, in the cold preservation, the microorganisms are not destroyed, but their proliferation and the occurrence of chemical and enzymatic reactions are controlled.
The lower the temperature, the slower the biochemical and enzymatic reactions and microbial growth, which can remain inactivated until the temperature rises.
There are microorganisms in food that can be present intolerable amounts. Depending on the type of food, the type and quantity of microorganisms, their presence may or may not be harmful to the quality of the food and, consequently, to the health of consumers.
All chemical reactions and microorganisms have optimal activity temperatures (growth and reproduction in the specific case of microorganisms). Therefore, the basic principle of cold storage is to keep the temperature below ideal for the activity.
This blog is also worth reading for you:– COLD STORAGE MACHINERY
The use of low temperatures in food preservation also acts as an important maintenance factor in the preservation of sensory characteristics and nutritional value.
The cold conservation process takes place in two types:
– Refrigeration (short term conservation),
– Freezing (long-term storage).
In refrigeration, food is kept at temperatures between 0˚C and 7˚C. The impact on nutritional and sensory properties is moderate. At these temperatures. However, storage times are relatively short (on the order of days). Microbes multiply in food when they meet optimal nutrient, moisture, and temperature conditions. Health-damaging microbes can multiply at temperatures between 5ºC and 60ºC (called the danger zone).
This process keeps them for a few days, varying the period from one food to another. The lower the temperature, the lower the chemical, enzymatic and microbial growth action.
The refrigeration process preserves the characteristics of the product in nature, it is a temporary method of conservation. It is usually used in combination with other techniques, or raw materials waiting for processing to take place.
The freezing of food, on the other hand, is a common method of preserving food, which, by turning water into ice, reduces its decomposition, reduces chemical reactions, and prevents the growth of bacteria.
About under-refrigeration storage:
Some factors that should be considered during under-refrigeration storage, especially over-the-counter, are:
– The ideal temperature to be chosen depends on the type of product and the storage time and condition.
– Relative humidity: this will be related to the quality of the product, as the humidity will provide when it lowers the dehydration of the food and if it is too high, it will facilitate microbial growth.
– Air circulation: will allow the maintenance of temperature and the composition of a uniform atmosphere. This air must be renewed daily to avoid the formation of unpleasant odors by the various products stored in the same place.
– Light: the room must be kept dark.
– Composition of the storage atmosphere: the effect of cold conservation can be enhanced by controlling the storage atmosphere.
This blog is also worth reading for you:– COLD STORAGE PLANT MANUFACTURE
Now, let’s find out about the Minimum area required for cold storage.
What is the minimum area required for cold storage?
Are you wondering about the Minimum area required for cold storage? Well, we can say that 1800 to 2000 sq meters land area is required for cold storage.