Our world is witnessing significant growth in cold chain logistics and refrigerated transportation after the pandemic situation. Fresh and perishable goods can now be transported around the globe without compromising their quality thanks to new technological advancements. Likewise, important, perishable biopharmaceuticals can be delivered to places of need using cutting-edge temperature-controlled containers and trailers.
But despite how often we discuss chilled transportation, we frequently overlook key elements of chilled chain logistics. You will understand how cold storage has been used, the many forms of cold storage, and how chilled warehousing enables the full cold chain after reading this page.
What Items Can Be Stored in Cold Storage?
We can only keep an item in cold storage that requires refrigeration for maintaining its natural structure. We store any substance so as to avoid degradation or noncompliance with applicable rules and regulations. Following, we are going to understand cold storage in great detail:
A Wide Range of Locations May Include Cold Storage: Stages of Items Cold Storage
Following are some of the top stages wherein we can store the products:
- Prior to Reaching the Consumers. Before products reach consumers, a producer could have a separate cold storage facility where they are stored.
- Cold Storage by the End Users. After receiving temperature-controlled products but before using them, end users may well have cold storage space where they can keep them.
- Third-Party Cold Storage For the Customers. A third-party logistics provider (3PL) is typically hired to handle cold storage, where goods are kept when they are available to be sent to a customer.
What Types of Items Can Be Stored in the Cold Storage?
We can divide the items for cold storage into two sections. The first section would deal with the eatables or any product related to the kitchen and meals. The other section includes all non-food items such as candles, medicines, seeds, plants, and more. Let us look at these both items extensively.
1. The Food Items. The food items that we can keep in the cold storage include curing dairy products, beverages, Fats, herbs, oils, sugars (liquids), dry vegetables such as garlic, ginger, root vegetables, root fruits, fermented foods, etc. This is a long list in which we can keep every product in a separate cold storage container. Some of them are listed below:
- Produced fresh fruits and vegetables
- Foods that are frozen
- Processing food with seafood
- Frozen food
- Dairy products
- Drugs and related products
- Meat-based items
- Products that must be refrigerated that are chilled or ambient
- Any items that must be kept at or below 10 degrees Celsius (between 0 and 10 degrees Celsius)
When we store food items, we must consider their structure. For instance, we must keep a potato at a certain temperature, and a tomato at its required temperature. Otherwise, potatoes would feel their spring and tomatoes would feel their summer. Likewise, each product has its own recommended temperature. Food items cannot be put into a single storage space. There is a defined method of drying, cooling, and storing vegetables and fruits. So, food items can be kept in a separate container, such as
- Cold storage for onions.
- Cold Room for Red Meat.
- Cold storage for potatoes.
- Cold Room for Fish and Seafood
- Cold storage area for a bakery.
- Cold storage room for milk and milk-based products.
- Cold Room for Poultry.
- Cold Storage Room for Apple.
2. The Non-Food Items. There are also non-food items that can be stored in the racks of cold storage spaces. Some of these cold storage spaces can accommodate medicines, injections, cosmetics and more. They are defined below:
- Eau de Toilette with cologne. These scents can keep their fragrance for around two years with proper chilling. (But, fragrance should be kept at room temperature.)
- Ii. Candles. Cold wax may melt more gradually and without drips.
- Iii. Lipstick. Longevity is increased by a cool home. If you have extras of a favorite hue, keep them here instead of in the bathroom.
- Iv. Authentic Cookies. Unlike the pantry, this place will keep them fresher for longer.
- Planting Seeds. The seeds of plants can be kept in a dry container. The seeds’ survivability is increased at cool temperatures.
This blog is also worth reading for you:- What is the approximate cost of cold storage in India?
We all must discard spoiled food and other items since we don’t store them properly. By minimizing waste, cooler room refrigeration will enable you to just save money. Fruits and vegetables can be kept fresher for longer by being kept at the proper temperature and at the right degree of moisture in a cold storage area. Waste will be reduced, and cash will be saved as a result. So, the Indian government is taking efficient steps for increasing the cold storage facilities in the country.